Thursday, July 24, 2014

For the record: I did not sign this petition on Gaza

For the following reasons, I did not sign this petition:
There are several problems with the text:
1)      We don’t know who kidnapped the three Israelis.  We don’t know if they are Palestinians or if they are “militants”. 
2)      I don’t believe that occupation of Palestine started in 1967
3)      I am opposed to ruling out armed struggle for Palestinians.
4)      I disagree with the characterization that Hamas “targets civilians”.  The movement never said that and it is an assumption that does not match the actual Israeli record in that regard.
5)      The notion that Hamas has committed “war crimes” seems like an attempt to equate the culpability of victims and killers.
6)      The “international consensus” cited about the framework for peace is no consensus at all. Palestinians have not supported that consensus.